ESL » ESL for International Students

ESL for International Students

UPDATE - September 2021: Registrations are open for all programs
It is our hope that we will be able to return to in-person learning, or a hybrid model of learning (some in-class, some online learning) in September 2021. As we get closer to the start of school, we will follow direction from the London Public Health Unit with regards to protocols and guidelines we need to implement to open safely.
Please check back later in August as we will update our website with any further information as it becomes available.

St. Patrick Adult & Continuing Education of the London District Catholic School Board would like to invite you to visit our beautiful country and learn English in Canada.

International students bring a rich infusion of many cultures to our classrooms. Your knowledge and skills are welcome and wanted in our school in London, Ontario.

Reasons to study in Canada:

  • Canadian educational opportunities rank among the best in the world.
  • Tuition fees for international students in Canada, and the cost of living, are also among the lowest in the world-especially to learn English as a Second Language.
  • Eligible students can gain valuable Canadian work experience and London community employment if they are Visa qualified in addition to their permission to study here.
  • Canada is a multicultural country. Regardless of your ethnic origin, you will feel at home and will build friendships with other students while studying here.
  • According to the United Nations, Canada offers one of the highest standards for quality of life in the world.
Applicants must submit the following documents for evaluation:
  1. A completed (signed and dated) CFLL Application Form.
  2. A copy of a translated transcript or school reports from the current year and last two years if applicable.
  3. Proof of vaccination against tuberculosis, mumps, measles, rubella, diphtheria, tetanus and polio.
  4. Proof of private health insurance coverage for the duration of the study period.
Please note: It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure their health insurance remains active during his/her entire stay. St. Patrick Adult & Continuing Education will assume no liability for lapsed health coverage which could result in the student being asked to withdraw.
Application packages must be submitted to:
St. Patrick Adult & Continuing Education
1230 King Street
London Ontario
N5W 2Y2
Upon receipt, evaluation and acceptance of the completed application package, Visa student fees are due.
Payment can be made by bank draft, money order or certified cheque made payable to the Centre for Lifelong Learning by wire transfer if applying form outside of Canada. If paying by wire please add $35.00.

Once payment is received a conditional Letter of Acceptance will be issued. This letter will enable you to apply to Citizenship and Immigration Canada for authorization to enter Canada as a student. You must apply for and receive a Study Permit before leaving your home country to attend a school in Canada.

Guidelines and an application form can be found on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website:
How do I apply for a Study Permit?
Visit: to apply for a Study Permit. You should contact the Canadian Visa Office in your home country to see if you need to complete any additional forms or provide any additional documentation prior to coming to Canada.
As someone new to Canada, do I have to start all over to receive my high school diploma?
No. Depending on your education in your home country, as well as your work and life experience, you may be able to graduate by only taking as few as four Grade 11/12 credits. Typically, these include a Grade 11 Math, the Ontario Literacy Course, a Grade 11 English as well a Grade 12 English, based on your pathway.

Meet with a Guidance Counselor:
For you to determine what you will need to graduate with a high school diploma, contact one of our guidance counsellors at the Centre.
An appointment is recommended. call 519-675-4436 ext. 0.

It helps to bring in the following documents:
    • Your ESL assessment
    • Your immigration document proving eligibility
    • Any educational documents such as transcripts you possess from your own country
    • Other documents from work you may have done in the past
What if I'm already in Canada as a visitor and want to study ESL?
If you are already in Canada, check with immigration officials or a settlement worker to ensure that you have the correct visa classification to study in Canada longer than six months.
What if I'm visiting Canada and want to study ESL for a short period of time? (such as for a summer semester or just under six months)
Once you are in Canada, you must contact the school to make an appointment to register and get a current language assessment to determine your English language learning level.
To this registration appointment, you must bring:
    1. Original and valid Study Permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
    2. Passport and/or birth certificate.
    3. Transcripts in English from your former school if you have them or verification for how your will obtain them once you have arrived.
    4. Proof of residency in the City of London.
    5. Payment - cash or debit payments are accepted for ESL classes in our office.